Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Suunto Run Melbourne Training..

..has started for the year, wahoo! I got a lot out of it last year, so going again this year was a given. I had a total blast last night!
Brought my gear into work with me, which is a slight hassle but so long as I am a bit organised isn't too bad. The main negative was that I'd gone out for a quick 4K run in the morning and when I opened my bag at 5:30pm to get changed my sports bra was still slightly damp (altogether now..ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww).
I got changed, dashed out the front and jumped on a tram. I work at one end of the city and training starts at the other (of course) so it takes a good 15 minutes to get down there. I wasn't nervous like last year, rather I was ready and raring to go!
I ran in the beginners group as that's what I did last year and being still quite slow it seemed a good place to start. Running a similar route and distance to last year was a great way to see how far I've come, and I am amazed at how much easier it was for me. Last year I was well down the back of the pack, walked a fair bit, and could never make the 1K around the base of the MCG without stopping. This year I freakin' smashed that! Maintained a 7:46 pace most of the way with very few stops, and was with the front pack for most of that time. I amazed myself as I pretty much only do run-walk-run so had been unsure how I'd go without my walk breaks, but it was fine as the pace was gentle.
At the end I was one of the people the leader tapped as being ready to move into the 5K slow group, so next week that's the plan. Am pretty sure I'll get smashed there but, oh well, I can always drop back if it's too hard!
I'm really pleased with how the whole thing went. Run Melbourne is my favourite event, I love the fact that it's aimed at getting people out and running, I love that the slogan is 'Anyone can'. I'm sure I'll always have a soft spot for it as it was my first running event, and I'm so excited to be running my first half marathon there.
It was also my first time running in the morning and then again in the evening, and I was surprised at how good I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment